Airplanes and space


I recentlytook Shawn Jr. to the museum of flight. The first time I took him he was 3 yrs. old. He loved looking at the many airplanes hanging from the ceiling and displayed on the three levels of the museum. He was slightly interested in the space shuttle.. It was fun time for both of us. Since that first visit he has mentioned several times that he would like to go back to the museum of flight, his requests coming more frequently in the last few months. Loving our alone time, I decided to take him again this January. Even though it was hard to cough up $25.00 to go walk through and look at airplanes again, I wanted to please my grandson. (He was free the first time around, and I had a coupon for me:))

We spent an entire afternoon looking around and walking through the museum. This time Shawn Jr. was talking the entire time. He asked questions nonstop. He was relaxed and in no hurry. He walked through the museum with his little eyes wide open with wonder and excitement, enjoying every minute of it. He asked if we could go walk inside the space shuttle and showed me where they slept standing up-things remembered from our previous trip about a year and a half earlier. It was a special day for me that I will always remember. I don't know much about airplanes and I fear the questions will become more and more complicated as we return to the museum, so I took Shawn and his brother to the library last week to load up on books about planes and space shuttles... what a wonderful learning experience for both of us. My number one grandson( as he calls himself) has started yet another tradition to be passed along to his younger brother and cousins. He did say that we probably shouldn't take Xarik and Baron until they are four-because they would run around too much, but that Carson could probably handle it . My wise little guy....

Shawn Jr./museum of flight

Shawn Jr./museum of flight

Museum of Flight

Museum of Flight
Shawn Jr. in the Concord 2011

Shawn/air balloon

Shawn/air balloon

Shawn Jr./helicopter

Shawn Jr./helicopter

Shawn the Astronaut

Shawn the Astronaut

Shawn Jr./control tower

Shawn Jr./control tower

Shawn Jr.helicopter

Shawn Jr.helicopter

Shawn Jr.space needle

Shawn Jr.space needle

Shawn Jr./airplane

Shawn Jr./airplane

Shawn Jr./2011

Shawn Jr./2011

Museum of Fight/ 2009

Museum of Fight/ 2009

Gaga/Papa and the grandkids

Gaga/Papa and the grandkids

My little blessings

My little blessings

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Burnt Out Grandma

Yesturday was a very hectic busy day. I started out with a headache that never goes away-its that time of year for my headaches ugh!
After going to the Johnsons and cleaning up and getting Hallie off to school, I went to work---this includes kindergarten, recess duty and various other responsibilities such as teaching a reading resource class...anyway I have a very full day. Meanwhile, my headache grew worse and worse..but my day is not over when the school bell rings...I then went to pick up Baron on the other side or South Hill , desparately trying to beat the traffic..he was happy when I got there but he started crying on the way home..next stop---pick up Shawn and Xarik and drop Beth off at work. Meanwhile, Baron is still upset as we load three car seats in the back of my car. We finally get home and I unload the two babies, 2 diaper bags and a backpack and of course Shawn-who, thank goodness can "do it myself" . I get them into the house and out of car seats onto the floor. I feed Baron and Xarik and change diapers. Shawn and I are hungry too, my head is killing me and so we settle for "scoobie snacks and milk" no argument there from Shawn. During all this craziness I question my sanity..why am I doing this..I know there are many reasons..the biggest one being that I want to be there for my kids..I didn't have that while raising them (my kids) on my own. Suddenly, as I am sitting on the floor, I look around me...all is calm..Baron is happily playing with his hanging musical frog, Xarik is curled up in my lap looking up at me with those big beautiful eyes , and Shawn is beside me, talking happily to his "gaga" and content to be right where he is. I realize then, with tears in my eyes (partly from head pain) that this is why I am crazy enough to want to spend every moment that I can with my grandsons. I want to be there to capture those moments when all is well in their little world, and they are happy and content because they have a "gaga" that loves them all with all her heart and always will. Would I go through this again--you betcha... I am trying to figure out a way to make it a little less hectic for myself tho...